101 Child Visa

Home   |   Migrants   |   Partner/Parent   |  101 Child Visa

Project Introduction

Child Visa (Subclass 101) is a permanent resident visa for Australian citizens, permanent residents or eligible New Zealand citizens to provide sponsorship for natural children, adopted children or step children who are living overseas and under the age of 25, allowing them to live in Australia with their parents. This visa requires the child to be outside Australia both when the application is lodged and when the visa is granted.

Project Advantages

Legally study and work in Australia
Enjoy Australian public health care and other social welfare allowances
Free travel to and from Australia during the visa period
After meeting the residency requirements, can apply for Australian citizenship
Visa-free entry to New Zealand

Application Requirements

The child must be dependent on a parent who is:
Australian citizen
Eligible New Zealand citizen
Australian permanent visa holder
They can be their parent's:
Biological child
Adopted child
Stepchild (only from a former partner)
The child must be sponsored by an eligible parent or their parent's spouse or de facto partner.
The child must be either:
Under 18 years old, or
Over 18 and under 25 years and studying full time, or
Over 18 years with a disability
The child can't be or ever have been:
Married or engaged to be married

In a de facto relationship

The child and any dependants who apply for the visa with them must meet the health requirement.
If the child is aged 16 years or over they must meet the character requirement.
If the child or any member of their family owes the Australian Government money it must be paid back or there must be a formal arrangement to pay it back.
Children aged 18 or older must:

Have read, or had explained to them, the Life in Australia booklet

Sign the Australian Values Statement confirming they will obey Australian laws and respect the Australian way of life

Only grant this visa to a child younger than 18 years if either: the child has the written consent of everyone who can legally decide where they live,
The laws of the child’s home country allow them to leave their home country, or it is consistent with any Australian child order about the child
Might not grant this visa if it is not in the best interests of an applicant under 18.

Application Process

Check the child's passport is valid.
Provide documents in support of the visa application.
Apply for this visa on paper.
Received the application and documents
The child can be inside or outside Australia when the Immigration Department make their decision.