802 Child Visa

Home   |   Migrants   |   Partner/Parent   |   802 Child Visa

Project Introduction

This Child visa (subclass 802) allows a child to stay in Australia permanently and live with their parents. The child can travel to and from Australia as many times as they want for 5 years from the date when the visa is granted. This is as long as the travel facility of this visa remains valid.

Project Advantages

Study and work legally in Australia
Enjoy Australian public health care and other social welfare allowances
Free travel to and from Australia during the visa period
After meeting the residency requirements, you can apply for Australian citizenship
Visa-free entry to New Zealand

Application Requirements

The child must be dependent on a parent who is:
Australian citizen
Eligible New Zealand citizen
Australian permanent visa holder
They can be their parent's:

Biological child

Adopted child

Stepchild (only from a former partner)

The child must be sponsored by an eligible parent or their parent's spouse or de facto partner.
The child must be either:

Under 18 years old, or

Over 18 and under 25 years and studying full time, or

Over 18 years with a disability

The child can't be or ever have been:

Married or engaged to be married

Ln a de facto relationship

The child and any dependants who apply for the visa with them must meet the health requirement.
If the child is aged 16 years or over they must meet the character requirement.
If the child or any member of their family owes the Australian Government money it must be paid back or there must be a formal arrangement to pay it back.
Children aged 18 or older must:

Have read, or had explained to them, the Life in Australia booklet

Sign the Australian Values Statement confirming they will obey Australian laws and respect the Australian way of life

Only grant this visa to a child younger than 18 years if either:

The child has the written consent of everyone who can legally decide where they live,


The laws of the child’s home country allow them to leave their home country, or
it is consistent with any Australian child order about the child

Might not grant this visa if it is not in the best interests of an applicant under 18.
The child might not be eligible for this visa if, since they last arrived in Australia, the Immigration Department have refused a visa application, or cancelled a visa