Student Guardian Visa (subclass 590)

Home   |   Study Abroad   |   Visa Application   |   Student Guardian Visa (subclass 590)

Project introduction

The 590 Student Guardian Visa is also known as the Dependent Visa. It is mainly designed for parents whose children are under 18 years old or for relatives who have compelling reasons to take care of students. The student’s legal guardian or relatives may apply to accompany students to Australia while the student is studying in Australia.

Application Requirements:

You can be in or outside Australia when you apply for the visa. You can apply in Australia if you hold a substantive visa except for one of these:
Domestic Worker (Temporary) Diplomatic and Consular visa (subclass 426)
Temporary Work (International Relations) visa (subclass 403) in the Domestic Worker (Diplomatic or consular) stream
Diplomatic (Temporary) visa (subclass 995) – primary visa holder only. A family member of a Diplomatic (Temporary) visa (subclass 995) can apply for a Student visa in Australia
Transit visa (subclass 771)
Visitor visa (subclass 600) in the Sponsored Family stream or in the Approved Destination Status stream
You must be:
The parent of the student visa holder, or
A person who has custody of the student, or
A relative of the student, aged 21 years or older, nominated in writing by a parent or person who has custody of the student
You will provide care and support for:
A student visa holder who is under 18 years of age or
A student visa holder who is 18 years of age or older and needs care and support due to exceptional circumstances
For this visa, a relative is the student's:
Parent or step-parent
Grandparent or step-grandparent
Sibling or stepsibling
Aunt, uncle, step-aunt or step-uncle
Niece, nephew or step-niece or step-nephew
Child or stepchild
You must be able to provide accommodation, general welfare and support to the student.
You must show that you have enough money to pay for your stay in Australia for meeting the costs and expenses of yourself, your accompanying family members and in most cases, the student visa holder.
If any member of your family unit has not turned 6, you cannot be granted the visa unless:
There are compelling and compassionate reasons or
Granting the visa would significantly benefit the relationship between the Australian Government and the government of another country, you are 21 and if the student visa holder has not turned 18, the nomination is supported by a parent or someone with custody of the student.
You must make adequate arrangements for the accommodation, support and welfare of any member of your family who:
Is not coming with you to Australia
Is under 18 years of age
Does not have a Student visa
You are personally liable for all your healthcare costs while you are in Australia. Medical insurance helps limit your financial liability.
You must only intend to:
Stay temporarily in Australia
Do the things you are allowed to do on this visa
You and any family members who apply for the visa with you must meet our health requirement
If you are a relative or the student visa holder, you must meet our character requirement.
You must:
Have read, or had explained to you, the Life in Australia booklet and
Sign an Australian Values Statement that confirms you will respect the Australian way of life and obey Australian laws
If you or any family members owe the Australian Government money, you or they must have paid it back or arranged to pay it back.
You might not be granted this visa if you have had a visa cancelled or refused while you were in Australia.
The Immigration Department might not grant this visa if it is not in the best interests of an applicant under 18.

Application Process

Provide accurate information.
You must apply for this visa online. You should apply for your visa at least 6 weeks before the student's course starts.
Application and documents are received
Visa approved